Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Nearly done...

On the weekend I plugged in the digital tuner for the first time. The only PCI type that Octagon had was a Compro Vista T100. I took the full sized bracket off temporarily to make it fit.

Unfortunately, it wont tune to channel 9 or Go. Can't say I'm all that suprised, as digital reception isnt great with our antenna - and the cable is split about 5 ways on the way down to the living room which doesnt help.

So rather than keep trying tuner cards until I find one which works, we'll bite the bullet and get the antenna replaced. The guy from Jim's Antennas is coming on Saturday for a quote.

Now... I'm sort of suspicious about Antenna guys. Call me mistrustful, but after dealing with TV bracket installers who seemed to be a bunch of con-artist rip off merchants, I'm sort of thinking that Antenna guys might be the same... a bunch of laid off insulation installers.

Posted a bit on DTV forums to learn a little bit about what a good installer does - so hopefully I'll recognise a spiv who wants to just slap up a cheap antenna, charge me a grand and disappear, leaving me still missing channels.

So this reception problem is sort of preventing me from declaring my project finished. Having said that, Dear Reader, I still havent shown you the finished product!

This weekend I'll show you what it can do. Pics and maybe a Youtube video of it fully installed and running in the living room.

Tell you what.... it knocks the socks off a TiVo!

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    Interesting to read your experience in assembling this, mate!

    Good Luck, hope everything works for you. About to start one of my own.

    Waiting for the videos from you.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete